Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Using PIE for IE8 only 

Post Re: Using PIE for IE8 only
I'm considering enabling the heartbeat in all versions, but I really really REALLY don't want to if I don't have to. In fact I hate with a passion that I have to do it in IE8 and would love to rip it out but until I have a better fix it's gotta stay.

If I do enable it for <IE8 then I'll probably make it configurable and disabled by default, since it's not usually necessary.

The zoom issue is likely related in that it doesn't trigger onmove/onresize events on the elements; if that's the case then the heartbeat would probably be effective as a workaround. But I'm hoping there's a better way. We just need to be able to detect when the user has zoomed. If there's an event we can listen for then that's ideal (I don't know of one), or maybe we can use a less intensive heartbeat check that e.g. only monitors a single element to detect when the user zooms, and maybe not check quite so often.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:56 pm

I have only heard of a few ways of detecting zoom. None of them are flawless. One way was to just detect the required key strokes for IE: ctrl + +/- and ctrl + mwheelup/down, though that of course does not detect if the user zooms via the menu.

I saw a reference on a stack overflow post awhile back ... : http://blog.sebastian-martens.de/2009/1 ... owser-zoo/

Though I am unsure as to it's usefulness as I haven't tested it.

I'll do some research and see if I can find any, though I don't think the results will be pleasant.

~

Edit: With detecting the required key, this was the article I was referring to: http://mlntn.com/2008/12/11/javascript- ... nt-plugin/

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:54 pm

I added some code here to detect zoom

viewtopic.php?p=719#p719

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2