Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Making PIE smaller 

Post Making PIE smaller
Hi,

first off all... Thanks for making PIE. Until today i didn't use css 3 that much because of the tricks or the differenses between browsers. But i stumbled upon this and i'm giving it a try and so far it works. So now i'm making a design with it (i was just about to cut and make the code for the rounded corners and shadow). So far (have just made the wrapper with pie, but it works beautifully. And so easy to make changes...

I know that pie is just 28kb but i thought if it was possible to devide the file and make it even smaller. I'm in no way a developer that knows the code in it the htc-file and how to change it. But isn't it an idea that you could make kind of blocks that you could add to your htc file...

So if i only use rounded corners the file is smaller. If i want shadow as well, i add another block etc...

Maybe its too difficult, but after the seo-discussion of page-load time and google using it or not. Maybe its an idea to make it even better...

But its even fine right now, so i'm going to experiment with it... Its like the first time i used jquery... always so much fun to play and learn....

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:22 pm

Post Re: Making PIE smaller
If you are going to use pie for one feature it provides, such as rounded corners, why not edit the source code and make your own build? I personally intend to do this when I am done testing with IE6 as I only need PIE for rounded corners, so I want to trim down the htc file a bit. I haven't tackled this just yet as it isn't a requirement, more of a personal want.

But, I suppose it would be nice if Jason did it for me ;) so all I would have to do is download PIE_RoundedCorners instead.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:33 pm

This is definitely in the future plans, see https://github.com/lojjic/PIE/issues/#issue/59 -- Unfortunately it's pretty far down on my priority list, but if someone wanted to jump in and help out I'd be ecstatic! :)

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:46 pm

In no way i want to tell others to make things like i want them. It was i thought i had and maybe i can do it, i don't know. I have never worked with htc. But it might be an interesting project... I will have a look at the code and if it looks something i understand...

I just realised, that on the 30 kb there won't be very much kb you can win (the 100 of the neat code was in my mind when i had the thought originally)... But nonetheless... I'm going to try to get my design first working with it and test it and then will have a look if i can 'clean up code that i donĂ½ use).

When i'm succesfull i'll mention it here and people can reuse it or elaborate on it...

Thanks...

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:20 pm

Sounds great! It's 99% JavaScript so don't get scared away by the .htc wrapper.

Feel free to ask me questions if you run into problems.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:34 pm

If it would help reduce the filesize, I think offering 3 versions (rounded corners, box shadow, and gradient) as well as one full version would be beneficial. If the filesize is not reduced by at least half the KB by doing this, then nevermind and keep making 1 :lol:

Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:09 pm

lollerskates wrote:
If it would help reduce the filesize, I think offering 3 versions (rounded corners, box shadow, and gradient) as well as one full version would be beneficial.

101% agreed on this one. I myself just need the border-radius and nothing more. And on the download page, something like this is very cool: http://flowplayer.org/tools/download/index.html

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]