Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Not a single background appearing on IE8 

Post Not a single background appearing on IE8
Hey there,

I have read about the problem of backgrounds diappearing in the documentation/FAQ, but I have some strange issue which I don't know how to resolve.
On one site css3pie seems to work fine, no matter what IE I take. On another one, IE8 does not show any of the backgrounds after loading css3pie - they are visible before, but not after the replacement. The given page is http://www.rs-werkzeuge.de/index.php?Us ... RS2spaltig . Can somebody help me out?

Edit: on another page/site I work on pie works like a charm, no matter what version of IE I use, with no additional position: relative needed.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:03 am

Post Re: Not a single background appearing on IE8
Well your problem is definitely the z-index issue. You need to follow the documentation's advice and add relative positioning where needed. I'm able to get most things to show up on your page by simply adding:
Code:
#wrapper {
  position:relative;
  z-index:0;
}

For other items it appears you're omitting some non-prefixed properties e.g. you just have the -moz- ones.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:50 am

Hey there,

thanks for your quick help, so parent divs need the pos-rel und z-index fix, right? So far it works if I add it for #wrapper and #content. Thank you so much.

As for the box-shadows, that's plain and simple, you nailed it ;). Though no mistake or problem, I was still testing it.

Edit: trying it out in IE8 it seems that the fix only works every other time. Sometimes I need to reload the page in order to have CSS3pie show the backgrounds again... is that a common issue or something from my end again?

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:59 pm

Correct, sort of; like the docs say you can either use the position:relative + z-index on the parent that has a background, or position:relative on the target element itself. Which one is better to use depends on the situation.

I'm not seeing the inconsistency you mentioned in IE8. The same parts of the page render each time it loads. However the middle section of the page does seem to not be rendering correctly, at all. Inspecting the generated DOM, it looks to be getting initialized correctly and z-index is not the problem here. In the product search form the CSS3 rendering elements are for some reason getting display:none applied, which could be due to some other script or due to a bug in PIE itself. In the tabbed section, it looks like there's a conflict between PIE and how jQuery creates the tabbed elements. I've had reports of some incompatibilities with jQuery-created elements before so this doesn't surprise me that much.

If these are indeed bugs in PIE then I'll have to look into them further. If you would, please try using the latest dev code and see if that helps any of these issues -- you can find a copy of it that I built tonight at http://css3pie.com/PIE-dev.htc

Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:27 pm

What can I say... the dev version is way faster (really!!) and displays everything correct... apart from my IE bugs I haven't fixed myself yet ;). Thank you!

Edit: still, sometimes, the very same page seems to miss out on receiving a closing </div> or something... the page layout is sometimes wacky, a reload fixes the situation then. IE7 and IE8 ;). Other times backgrounds again disappear and re-appear on hover.

Edit: IE is spitting out an 'f is null or not an object' error. Might that be connected to it?

Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:58 am

Glad you noticed the performance improvements, I've put a ton of work into that. :)

If you're getting errors then yes that's most likely related. Can you try the uncompressed version and give me a line number for the error? http://css3pie.com/PIE_uncompressed-dev.htc

Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Hey there,

funnily, I don't get any JS errors anymore, though I didn't change anything except that I took the uncompressed htc file.
Still some of the backgrounds only appear on hover when used in IE8. The parent ones are set to pos-relative and z-index 0... IE7 seems fine though.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 am

... and still the weird div bug (or how you would call it) on IE7. Sometimes the page gets trashed while loading, as if a single div hasn't been closed or something.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:14 pm

Don't want to haste anybody, but at the moment I am thinking about pulling out CSS3pie again since it's not working stable in this configuration and going back to curved corners via images (which would be a loss). Is there any update on the issues mentioned above or am I doomed? You say it's because of the jQuery tabs, right?

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:14 am

It might be due to the jQuery tabs. That's just a guess though, based on previous bug reports of problems with content created via jQuery. It could be something else, I'd have to do some deep debugging to track it down. If you can come up with a minimal testcase that's the best way to get started.

Do you have problems if you remove PIE from just the tabbed area? The rest of the page seemed to be working OK to me.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next