Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Tips on reliably testing different IEs 

Post Re: Tips on reliably testing different IEs
@MaFt: Has netrenderer fixed their issues with PIE rendering? Used to be that their service wouldn't work right, it's like it would take the screenshot too early before PIE had a chance to kick in or something.

Sat May 19, 2012 9:36 pm

MaFt wrote:
For just viewing (as opposed to fully testing) I always use http://netrenderer.com/ as it allows you to render it in pretty much any IE version.

As I use a Mac it's much easier doing it this way for a quick test than to fire up a VM for it...

That method won't work well for CSS3PIE, because it only gives you a snapshot of the page at a given point in time -- straight after page load. CSS3PIE makes adjustments to position and size after page load, so you won't get the full picture. Besides which, you don't get to find JavaScript bugs on IE, or use the (rather poor) IE debug tools to inspect styling problems.

If you don't want to mess around with Windows VMs locally, you can rent one cheaply on Rackspace. I did this for a short while when I needed to test in IE9 and didn't have a Windows 7 license. Once it's up and running, you connect to it using RDP -- from Mac; from Linux

It's a bit painful when you have a page with animation, e.g. an image carousel, but otherwise a good solution. You can use the minimum $0.08/hour Windows 2008 Server to test IE8+, just build one for each version of IE you want to test (e.g. IE8, IE9, IE10 beta).

The trick to minimising cost with this service is to build your Windows instance and save it to storage. When you're finished using it, you can delete the running instance and thus stop paying the $0.08/hour. When you're ready to face up to the horror of IE testing again(!) you build a new instance from storage (it takes a couple of minutes, time to get a nice cup of coffee to steel yourself ready for testing IE!) This means you pay a little for storage too, but it works out to very little money per month that way (say $5 or so depending on how much time you spend testing IE).

Thu May 24, 2012 4:26 pm

Another that is nice for just viewing is IETester. The output seems to match what I get when using the F12 dev tools in IE9 (the version I have with my laptop) and makes it easy to spot check changes. It is a bit cludgy and prone to tabs just crashing but I have found it useful. IE9 runs like a dog on my Windows7 cheapo laptop so this solution works out pretty well for me.
Of course for actual troubleshooting of IE7-9 I still need to run IE9 and use the dev tools.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:17 am
Profile WWW

@MarkR: It sounds like you didn't actually read the article in this thread's original post. IETester is one of the tools that is *not* recommended due to inconsistencies that can give you false positives/negatives compared to the real thing.

Using IE9's dev tools has the same problem, they are not 100% accurate if you want to see how older IE versions actually behave.

The reliable options still appear to be full VMs, or an interactive service like browserstack or browserling.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:17 pm

yup, I just went back and see you are correct. I read through this thread. I retract my earlier (erroneous) statement and will go back to testing via F12 tools even though that seems to have issues as well.
Thanks for the clarification.

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:11 am
Profile WWW

Here's another:

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/webmaster/article.php/3838311/Browser-Emulators---Testing-Your-Design.htm

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:42 pm

Well, that was a waste of a perfectly good minute. Don't bother reading this one, just read the Smashing Magazine one.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Microsoft has released a new set of virtual machine images going back to IE6, which will run on Windows, Mac, or Linux.

They've also worked out a 3-month free trial deal with BrowserStack.

http://www.modern.ie/virtualization-tools

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:32 am

I sent them a mail to say that their XP + IE6 image wasn't useable.
Modern.ie revoded it and said that it will be back soon.
https://twitter.com/MaximeEuziere/statu ... 6938020864
Patience! :)

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:56 am

I'm so happy you made this thread! Thanks for your guidance everyone. online pokies

Tue May 14, 2013 10:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2