Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Getting PIE activated in IE9 

Post Getting PIE activated in IE9
Hello guys & gals!

Fist a thanks is in order, I have used PIE in several projects and it has helped me tremendously. So a big thanks to all developers and to others that are any other way helping the community.

Well, the thing is, I have a problem. I'm currently working on a project that needs linear gradients in IE9 and therefore needs PIE working in IE9. The problem is, PIE works just fine for me in IE8 but very selectively in IE9.

I can only get it to work in IE9 if I press F12 (developer tools) and choose "Browser Mode: IE9 Compat View", "Document Mode: IE9" and than clear the browser cache and reload the page. In this case linear gradients work fine.

What I have tried thus far:

- I have moved PIE.htc to the root of the site, trying /PIE.htc and also the full URL in my css
- I have specified AddType text/x-component .htc in my httpd.conf (and of course reloaded the server)
- I have tried pushing the browser in the "EmulateIE8" mode with a X-UA-Compatible header in my page
- have tried numerous combinations of X-UA-Compatible headers and valid/invalid DOCTYPEs in an attempt to throw IE9 into "IE9 Compat View" programmatically.

Needles to say, all unsuccessful so far. I have come to a conclusion that hand chosen modes in IE9 developer tools are in some way different than those forced with a X-UA-Compatible header. Either that, or I'm doing something wrong.

I have also tried the PIE devel versions from 2011-05-22 and 2011-08-09 (found in other threads) with no success. I can compile the current code from git if someone just hints that it might work.

What I'm using for testing is:
- as test client: windows 2008 R2 SP1 and IE9, fully updated as of today, nearly stock install
- as web server: apache with mod_wsgi on Scientific Linux 6.1, PIE 1.0beta5.

I can't use PIE.php as php won't be available in production, just python.

Ok, I have written all this and now I'm thinking that I should try disabling other js and css chunks to see if IE9 is alergic on something else in the code... But anyway, if anyone has any ideas about what else to try, I'd appreciate it. I can also give the url to the site privately, but I'd rather not publish it here just yet.

Thanks!

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:21 pm

Post Re: Getting PIE activated in IE9
Feel free to DM me a link or email it to jason@css3pie.com

One thing to make sure you've tried: after changing the content-type on the server make sure you clear your IE9's cache, it has a tendency to hang on to the old content-type even after it changes on the server.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:11 pm

Thanks for looking into this! Can't send PMs on the forum yet, so I have emailed you the URL.

I have cleaned the IE9 cache, several times... I double checked again just to be sure. I have just retraced some of my troubleshooting steps and left the page in a IE8 working state. So, PIE.htc is linked with an absolute path, there is a fairly standard X-UA-Compatible header and a proper DOCTYPE. This is the point where IE8 works fine but I can get IE9 to load PIE just by doing:

F12 (developer tools) -> change Browser Mode to IE9 Compat View -> change Document Mode to IE9 Standards -> press Ctrl-R or "Clear browser cache..." button -> refresh the page by clicking the Refresh button in the top main menu (or F5 or the refresh button in the developer tools, until it actually refreshes) -> and here enters PIE & working gradients...

Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:16 am

Just wondering if there has been any resolution to this? The sites I am developing are forcing IE edge to prevent compatibility mode but as a result linear gradients are not working either.

Thanks

Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:39 pm

I'm afraid not. I don't have any new ideas at the moment.

Still plenty of work on other parts of this project, so I decided to leave it be and return to it later.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:45 am

I have finally returned to deal with IE9 and PIE on this project of mine and after a short troubleshooting session, my problem is now solved. I'd like to thank Jason for pointing me in the right direction and I apologize for not getting back sooner.

In case anyone stumbles on something like this, here is what was the cause: MIME setting of "AddType text/x-component .htc" did not get applied as I expected it would.

Jason correctly pointed me in the right direction by saying that if one enters a path to PIE.htc in a browser and it displays as text, than MIME setting can't be correct. PIE.htc must be offered for download, not displayed as text.

In my case it seems that either mod_wsgi or web2py python framework I use for web development did not allow Apache's AddType directive to get trough for the directory PIE.htc was in. My MIME settings are all correct as far as Apache config files go, but somehow, somewhere, they got suppressed. Go figure... So, I have moved PIE.htc outside of the mod_wsgi enabled directories and IE9 works as expected.

So, if anyone else suspects something similar is happening, open PIE.htc in your browser directly. It should download, not display as text. A simple and great test for your MIME settings.

Thanks again!

Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:39 pm

Heya...

I'm having the gradients not rendering problem, but PIE.htc is being offered for download.

Since i'm a beginner in coding I have simply no idea what I could do.

Can somebody help?

Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:01 pm

Than you have a different problem than mine.

You shoud open a new thread and describe your problem, stating what you did to code your page, what you tried to troubleshoot the problem, write as much detail as you can.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:44 pm

Quote:
I have moved PIE.htc outside of the mod_wsgi enabled directories and IE9 works as expected.

I have similar problem as you. Please tell me, how did you moved the file?
my site: ania.matrus.pl
htc file: ania.matrus/js/PIE.htc

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:24 am
Profile WWW

Actually I updated cufon and It is working.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]