Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 PIE.php loads endlessly 

Post PIE.php loads endlessly
Hello,

I am using CSS3Pie via the PIE.php script and am facing some very weird trouble with IE 9.
When using the file as-is, certain pages cause IE to load PIE.php endlessly on first load. If I reload the page, everything is OK. Also, if I load another page that uses PIE.php, and then navigate to the specific problematic page, everything is OK as well.
If I modify PIE.php to send no-cache headers, IE 9 will always load PIE.php endlessly.

Fiddler screenshot attached.

All calls to PIE.php come back with:

Code:
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 07:31:26 GMT
Server: Apache/2.4.2 (Unix) PHP/5.4.3
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.4.3
Content-Type: text/x-component
X-Cache: MISS from localhost
X-Cache-Lookup: MISS from localhost:3128
Via: 1.0 localhost (squid/3.1.19)
Connection: close

Cheers,
Sebastian

Attachments:
css3pie.png [77.63 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:49 am
Profile ICQ

Post Re: PIE.php loads endlessly
I've seen the occasional double-download, but nothing like that.

When you say "endlessly", do you really mean that it keeps going forever? Or is it just a large number of downloads? Is it a download per usage or something like that?

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:50 am

It really is endless. Even after stopping IE, I can see in Fiddler that the file is requested over and over again until I either close the tab or the IE window. And nope, it's not a download per usage, but really endless (had over 300 requests).

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:10 pm
Profile ICQ

Can you paste the no-cache code you added that made it trigger every time, so I can see if that triggers it for me too?

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:59 pm

header( 'Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate' );
header( 'Expires: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT' );

The weird thing is that it doesn't always load endlessly, only on some pages which make heavy use of CSS3PIE. Our problem is also that we don't use CSS3PIE directly, but via our CMS. I can see though that the only thing it does is when encountering CSS3, it adds a behavior rule to the CSS that points to the PIE.php. I also updated the PIE scripts to use the latest 1.x with no luck.

I will give you links to demonstrate the problem in a few hours.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:58 am
Profile ICQ

OK, apparently as I found out today, when we deploy the file live and it is served via our CDN, it always receives a no-cache header no matter what I do. So yeah, no-cache seems to cause problems with IE 9. Here are some links to play with:

No problem, PIE.php gets loaded twice
http://www.nero.com/

No problem, PIE.php gets loaded twice
http://www.nero.com/eng/products/upgrade-center.php

PIE.php loads endlessly
http://www.nero.com/eng/products/upgrad ... =n12_trial

That last page also takes ages to load in IE 8 for example, especially if you open the More Information and then Compare Versions.

Edit: We changed the CDN behavior so the above "demo" no longer works as intended out of the box. If you call the last page that causes problems directly in IE, PIE is loaded but the styles don't apply. If you reload the page via F5, the page gets repainted as intended. Now if you use Fiddler at the same time and disable caching via Rules --> Performance, then press CTRL+R in IE (had to do it twice), you see the endless loading problem.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:45 am
Profile ICQ

Thanks, I don't have time to look into this right away but I've filed https://github.com/lojjic/PIE/issues/262 to make sure I get back to it.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]