Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 PIE 2 features 

Post PIE 2 features
Hello!

Jason, this is a great news, i've been expecting the new "modular" PIE 2 for a long time and am eager to test it!

Besides this modularity, could you tell us which features will come with PIE 2.0 (or 2.X ) ?

I'm thinking about inset box shadows, discussed here:
viewtopic.php?p=5781#p5781

And maybe text shadows and radial backgrounds, discussed here:
viewtopic.php?p=4092#p4092

Or box-sizing, requested here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1536

But the "fix" that I wait the most is to prevent PIE from deleting margin-tops on IE6 and IE7... by using the same technique as dd_roundies.htc that doesn't have this problem, like we discussed here:
viewtopic.php?p=5780#p5780

Thanks!

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:18 am

Post Re: PIE 2 features
Thanks for the suggestions, they're all good ones!

Inset shadows have been at the top of my list since day 1. As you read in that other thread there are severe limitations with it, however, and despite several tries at a real implementation I've always failed. I might try to do a limited implementation that doesn't work with border-radius, but I'm not committed to it yet.

I do want to flesh out the preliminary work in the text-shadow branch, so it's possible that will make it in 2.0.

Radial gradients are probably never going to be possible in IE 6-8, but I'd like to try getting it done in IE9 for 2.0.

I'll take box-sizing into consideration. ;)

The margin-top workaround sounds like it should be simple, so I'll bump that to the top of my list. I'm leaning toward making it something you have to explicitly enable with a custom CSS property, to prevent unwanted side-effects, but I'll give it a shot without first.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:37 am

Great!

Please keep us posted of what you can achieve when you'll work on that!

Thanks

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:42 am

Two featured thayt I forgot in my wishlist :)

- transitions, as discussed here (and in other topics)
viewtopic.php?p=4092#p4092

- and allow PIE'd elements to be inserted / removed without causing JS errors... (even when using PIE.js)

Just saying ... :p

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:06 am

Do you have an example of JS errors when inserting/removing elements? My testing hasn't triggered any errors.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:13 am

Hi

I can't reproduce any error anymore but I remember it happened on big projects with lots of AJAX updates... I solved it by calling PIE.detach() before each AJAX update, and PIE.attach() after.

It would be great, though, if PIE (2) could automatically detect DOM changes (add + delete) and act accordingly.

But DOM change detection is very hacky...

What about a jQuery plugin that would do this task during jQuery's DOM / AJAX operations?

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:18 am

Theoretically, using the htc behavior should handle DOM changes seamlessly -- that's one of the main reasons I chose to use it. I'm fairly confident that any errors could be fixed within the htc's lifecycle, but it's going to require testcases to reproduce the problem.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]