Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 box-shadow and some PIE inaccuracies 

Post box-shadow and some PIE inaccuracies
Hi everyone!

Sorry, I badly know English and I use a translator.

I use PIE to develop some web projects. In my opinion, PIE - the best solution to provide support for some CSS3 features in IE. Probably should not have to create a new topic, but I noticed some inaccuracies (screenshot attached).

Attachment:
pie_ff.png [16 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

I am interested in the development of CSS3 features for IE. I created a small script to emulate the 'box-shadow' property (project moved on GitHub). The script is partially supported 'inset' option, and I plan to make full support for this property (if there is enough free time and knowledge).

Attachment:
iebs.png [11.34 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Last edited by NXHOUND on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:31 am

Post Re: box-shadow and some PIE inaccuracies
The inaccuracies you describe are known issues. The bumps on the border corners is https://github.com/lojjic/PIE/issues/11 and is fixed in latest master. The sharp shadow with negative spread is https://github.com/lojjic/PIE/issues/183.

Thanks for linking to your project. It's clear you've borrowed implementation ideas from PIE's source code (perhaps even copy-pasted some of it? similar variable names and such) which I'm fine with but please consider adding some attribution.

Your implementation of inset box-shadow is pretty much what I did in PIE's original implementation and threw it away due to its limitations. I think you'll find that your approach breaks down as soon as border-radius is involved. Also be careful with clip:rect() in IE8 - it does strange things sometimes with sub-pixel rendering where it sticks out of the clipping rect slightly.

Would you consider doing this work within PIE itself rather than as a new standalone project? I think we could both benefit. I'm happy to assist.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks jason for your answer!

I assumed that these inaccuracies are known (sorry for the extra report).

Quote:
Thanks for linking to your project. It's clear you've borrowed implementation ideas from PIE's source code (perhaps even copy-pasted some of it? similar variable names and such) which I'm fine with but please consider adding some attribution.

Sorry, corrected (added link and description to the source code).

Quote:
Your implementation of inset box-shadow is pretty much what I did in PIE's original implementation and threw it away due to its limitations. I think you'll find that your approach breaks down as soon as border-radius is involved. Also be careful with clip:rect() in IE8 - it does strange things sometimes with sub-pixel rendering where it sticks out of the clipping rect slightly.

Yes, I know about these limitations. There are some ideas of how to get around some of them (if they are effective, I will certainly tell about it). Also, the shadow without border-radius is often quite used.

Quote:
Would you consider doing this work within PIE itself rather than as a new standalone project? I think we could both benefit. I'm happy to assist.

My script - just a experimental project. It is unlikely that it will be a real project.

I wish the success of your project. Thank you!

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:20 am

Hi!

Glad to see that inset box shadows are partially possible. It would be nice to enable this feature in PIE on elements which don't use border-radius. (unless you find a way to make both of them work together, of course... but I guess that's not easy at all... or impossible)

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:27 am

Yeah I plan to try doing that soon. The architecture changes in the master branch (2.0) should actually allow for use along with border-radius, as long as the inset shadow is not offset at all.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:51 am

Some problems with positioning (screenshot from IE7). Also, quickly checked in IE6 and IE8.

Attachment:
pie_pos.png [42.21 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Quick fix:

1) For fixed elements:

Code:
docEl = doc.documentElement;

// The HTML element has a default border (IE7)

x = ( elBounds.x - docEl.clientLeft ) * logicalZoomRatio;
y = ( elBounds.y - docEl.clientTop ) * logicalZoomRatio;

2) For elements with a width not specified in pixels and for a parent with a scroll bar:

Code:
// If the width is not specified in pixels (for example, 2em or medium)

bLeft = PIE.getLength( cs.borderLeftWidth );
bLeft = bLeft.pixels( par ) || par.clientLeft;

bTop = PIE.getLength( cs.borderTopWidth );
bTop = bTop.pixels( par ) || par.clientLeft;

// If a parent has a scroll bar

x = ( elBounds.x - parRect.left + par.scrollLeft ) * logicalZoomRatio - bLeft;
y = ( elBounds.y - parRect.top + par.scrollTop ) * logicalZoomRatio - bTop;

P.S.: glad to hear about the imminent appearance of support for the inset shadows!
P.P.S.: my experimental project has moved on GitHub :)

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:43 am

@NXHOUND: Thanks, would you mind please submitting these fixes as pull requests in GitHub, and include your testcase document in the 'tests' directory for future testing?

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:43 pm

@jason: Unfortunately, I've recently been working with a distributed version control system and don't really understand all the intricacies. The testcase document will be attached to the message.

Attachment:
position.zip [716 Bytes]
Downloaded 305 times

Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:48 am

Hi. I'm experiencing the exact "positioning" problem NXHOUND posted above when an element is being applied with box-shadow or border-radius. Tried both Pie versions but to no avail. Help please?

Thanks.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]