Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Question about IDEs and server operating systems 

Post Question about IDEs and server operating systems
Is there a list of web servers this has been tested with? Is there a list of development environments that this is known to work with or have problems with? I didn't find anything under known issues.

I'm working on Windows 7 with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and my IDE has no idea what behavior means in a CSS file and doesn't recognize an .htc file extension.

I'll be using this on a Windows 2008 server 64 bit with IIS 7. The only server I've seen mention of in documentation is Apache, which we don't run.

Is it worth my time to investigate this further or are these platforms not targeted by PIE?

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Post Re: Question about IDEs and server operating systems
From the point of view of PIE, the type of web server is irrelevant. The only requirement is that the web server is able to serve PIE.htc with the correct content-type header; all server software should be able to do this, even if it requires a little bit of configuration.

Same with IDEs -- PIE doesn't care, it's just a file interpreted by IE. I suppose if you had some sort of live preview in your IDE that might work as long as it uses IE's engine, but I'm not sure. Regardless you should be testing in a real IE anyway so I doubt that would matter.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:48 pm

Post Re: Question about IDEs and server operating systems
Thanks for the response. As far as my IDE goes, I found out that Visual Studio 2010 does not natively support CSS3 so using PIE won't work without this add0on to Visual Studio 2010;
http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microso ... f6cdc2cd83

Once that was installed and CSS3 was selected then PIE works great in the IDE!

The web server already knew how to handle CSS3 so you are correct that the web server shouldn't matter.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]