Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Next PIE features? 

Post Next PIE features?
Hi,

I'd like this topic to be used :
- By Jason to announce us which new features he's working on and discuss them with us,
- By the rest of us, to discuss what new CSS3 features we'd like to have, and suggest them to Jason

For example, I'm dreaming to see a future PIE version handling things like text-shadows, inner box-shadows, radial gradient backgrounds, or even CSS3 animations! Do you think that these things be possible? Other ideas? Other works in progress? Any program for the beta 0.6 yet?

Thanks

Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:02 pm

Post Re: Next PIE features?
You might find it convenient to follow the dude on GitHub: https://github.com/lojjic/PIE
Check out the branches: https://github.com/lojjic/PIE/branches
And see this post for text-shadow tests: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=576&p=3021#p3021

Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:33 pm

Good thought, however I prefer to have discussion around implementation of new features happen in GitHub. Check the issues section there, most of the features you mentioned have tickets opened to track them already. :)

One big change that I've been working on for beta6 that doesn't have a ticket in GitHub is splitting PIE into multiple files... PIE.htc becomes a very small loader stub file, which goes out and fetches the other file(s) containing only the logic needed for the current browser (and maybe only the logic for certain needed features). Those secondary logic files will be hosted on a CDN by default (assuming I can find a suitable CDN) which will allow the bulk of the download to be served from a fast location with gzip enabled, something not all users are currently able to do themselves. There will also be an option to specify a custom location if someone doesn't want to use the CDN. Between the pared-down logic files (no need to serve IE6-8 code to IE9 users) and the fast CDN delivery, this should result in a pretty decent decrease in download time even with the extra HTTP request.

Since you posted your shopping list ;), I'll touch on them real quick:
    - text-shadow: As Tonttu mentioned there's a branch with a preliminary text-shadow implementation. I'm still not happy with the blur algorithm but it's working fairly well otherwise. Not sure if this will go in beta6 but I'd like it to.
    - inset box-shadow: The rub here is that VML doesn't have a straightforward way to create the type of gradient needed to render inset shadows. I come back to this every so often to make another hacky attempt but nothing has stuck yet.
    - radial gradients: I've pretty much given up on ever getting this to work in IE6-8, VML just doesn't support it. For IE9 it should be easy and I hope to do that soonish.
    - animations - I don't think CSS3 Animations (as in the CSS Animations Module, with keyframes and all) are a good fit for PIE, since they require parsing the stylesheet. There might be other polyfills out there that would be able to do this. However if you're referring to CSS3 Transitions, which are a much simpler form of animation and use simple properties directly on the element, then yes I believe those would be relatively straightforward to implement in PIE. It's not very high on my list at the moment.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:27 pm

Oh, great! (and thanks for the answers)

I particularly like the fact that you found a way (ie. split the HTC) so that you can host almost all the code on a CDN, if you find one.

With this new organization, will it be possible to keep just one "CDN loader" and automatically get the latest PIE version, without having anything to do to upgrade PIE on our side on each release?

Thanks.

PS: i'd love to have CSS3 transitions (not animations ^^). Hope it gets higher on the list soon :p

Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:19 am

Re: radial gradients - what about this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7230 ... orer-6-7-8
http://7synth.com/dev/gradients

Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:31 am

@xem: yes, this would make auto-update possible, though I wouldn't want to enable that by default. There's nothing worse than upgrading something automatically underneath people that causes new bugs to appear on their sites without their knowledge!

@Tonttu: thanks for the links, unfortunately the radial alpha filter has too many limitations: won't work at all with rounded corners, can only start in the center, can only extend to the edges, can not have intermediate color stops... way too limited to work as a general CSS3 implementation. :(

Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:21 pm

For the radial beckground, couldn't JS generate a radial-coloured PNG background on-the-fly?

... I guess that would be very hard to do, hm?

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:30 am

xem wrote:
For the radial beckground, couldn't JS generate a radial-coloured PNG background on-the-fly?

Wouldn't that have to be done on the server-side and not with JS, though?

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:02 am

Oh, yes - it seems that GD / PHP can do such a thing (gradients on the fly)
http://php.net/manual/fr/book.image.php

Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:04 am

Plus One for CSS transitions. So keen, in fact, that I'm happy to help out if someone (jason?) wants to set me in the right direction. I have moderate js skills, but no htc experience.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next