Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 PIE Usage Examples 

Post PIE Usage Examples
I was tempted to title this topic "PIE: The Missing Usage Examples", but I'm not that brazen, nor am I sure that any of the examples that I'm using are actually "missing", I probably just wasn't able to find them. I've been using PIE for a little over a month now and I've only recently discovered that it supports transparent PNGs. If you don't want to bother reading my diatribe and just want to see the actual examples, here you go: http://nunyabiz.freeiz.com/css3pie_example.php

When I first started using PIE, I was more interested in being able to use rounded corners in IE 6-8, so that was my primary focus. Like most egotistical male drivers having trouble finding their way to a particular destination, I'm rarely inclined to actually bother consulting an actual map if I have a general idea of where I'm going. In this case, that also usually applies to reading the documentation. That's a last resort if I can't get something to work through other means.

So yesterday when I was answering a question on StackOverflow about rounded corners and I saw some of the existing answers that ranged from people saying that it couldn't be done in IE 6-8 to touting one of the other rounded corner solutions, I felt compelled to mention PIE as a viable solution that I had actually used successfully on a production website. I wanted to provide a link to this site, so after tracking it down I soon found myself reading some of the documentation so I could include some of the other things that it also supports. That was when I noticed that it supports transparent PNGs for the first time and I was elated, because none of the other solutions that I've seen actually seem to work consistently or at all, in other cases. However, I was having trouble finding some code for it in documentation that worked when I tried it. Eventually I figured out how to use it and make it work, but I figured that other people might have trouble themselves, so I thought I would try and be helpful for other noobs. The link to the example is in the first paragraph above.

Hopefully other people will find it useful when they're first getting started using PIE...

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:14 pm

Post Re: PIE Usage Examples
Thanks for this. "The Missing Usage Examples" wouldn't have been too brazen, and definitely not inaccurate. ;) Demos and examples are severely lacking and have been since initial launch. Unfortunately I rarely find myself motivated to improve them when there's so much fun feature coding to be done...

If you (or anyone else reading this) is interested in helping add demos for the website, I eagerly welcome it. The current demos are in GitHub at https://github.com/lojjic/PIE/tree/master/demos -- you can just fork the repo, add your demos, and issue a pull request for it. Then I can pull it into the main tree and add it to the website.

Some basic guidelines: demos should follow the same basic format as the current Tabs demo -- brief explanation of the demo, a screenshot plus the code in action, and the code itself (preferably with inline comments explaining parts of the code that need it). I like demos that combine multiple features to implement common use cases (like the tabs); but there's also a need for feature-by-feature demos, like the PNG transparency demo from this forum topic, or one that shows all the different border-radius shorthand syntax aspects. The test cases in https://github.com/lojjic/PIE/tree/master/tests might be a good starting point for some of these feature-specific demos.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]