Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:15 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Testing build with IE9 linear-gradient support 

Post Re: Testing build with IE9 linear-gradient support
Just replying that so far my tests of the ie9 gradients build have worked fine.

I have only really used it basic style and with multiple backgrounds. Both have been successful.

Thanks for this addition.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:33 pm

Hi, Jason, can you update PIE's documentation to indicate that IE9 is covered in support? Based on the front page, I was setting all our new sites in IE8-compatibility mode for IE9, in order to use gradients.

Unless, of course, this isn't in beta 4 yet?

Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:51 am

It's not in beta4, only in the testing build attached to this thread. And of course the GitHub source.

The documentation will of course be updated once this goes out in a public beta release.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:37 am

Jason you've got to admit even a noob can compile it :P

For the ones who are afraid of the source:

Install ubuntu latest iso (peanuts) or burn and boot with live cd (or use sun virtualbox, find a tutorial. you wont regret it, and it isnt that hard)
after installing and or booting, open a terminal (ctrl alt t) and type

su <enter> and password..
apt-get install ant.. something 2.0 ?(just press tab a few times to see the auto complete)
apt-get install git

press yes every time
go to github, copy the url and type in the terminal
git clone <insert url>

cd <package name>
ant

wait, done. Get the compiled files to your main system by using the GUI of ubuntu .

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:38 pm

Jason, first of all thanks for the script!

I'm having a few problems though which have been solved in this thread but i cannot seem to do so.

The first one was outlined by nickb:

Quote:
elements with linear-gradients that are initially hidden and then toggled to a visible state don't seem to render the gradient until after you mouse over their containing element

If you view my site in IE8 (http://stephenjohnmartin.com/spa/?yes) you'll notice that the main drop down menu gradient has the above problem.

I downloaded the new build you linked and uploaded the PIE.php and PIE.htc files (over the old) but nothing changed. Excuse my ignorance but was is the PIE.js file for? I've never used it. Does that need to be uploaded also?

My second issue is with IE9 and gradients, it's only working in comparability mode. I understand that the correct content type needs to be served but i'm unsure how to do it. I accessed my FTP and downloaded the .htaccess file in the HTML folder and added "AddType text/x-component .htc" to it without success.

Thanks.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:29 am

@CrownOfMars: Looks like you have some path issues to work out. IE8 and below are using http://stephenjohnmartin.com/spa/wp-con ... a//PIE.php because that's specified in a conditional comment in the HTML. But then in your external CSS you have references to /PIE.php, which IE9 is picking up; that path does not exist.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks for your reply Jason.

I have since added the PIE.php and PIE.htc file to the same folder as the style.css file, so the behavior: url(PIE.php); should link to it, but its still not working.

Am i properly changing my .htaccess files by just adding "AddType text/x-component .htc"?

I'm using wordpress and on my hosting there are two seperate .htaccess files.

One is located at domain/stephenjohnmartin.com/html/.htaccess, the other is in /domains/stephenjohnmartin.com/html/spa/.htaccess - i've changed both.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:36 am

Quote:
I have since added the PIE.php and PIE.htc file to the same folder as the style.css file, so the behavior: url(PIE.php); should link to it

This of course won't work, as the behavior url is interpreted relative to the *HTML file*, not the CSS file. Please see the documentation.

I don't understand why you have a separate set of CSS within the HTML file, overriding the behavior properties in the external CSS, that only applies to IE8 and below? Why not just allow that to be used for IE9 as well, as it is obviously already set up with the correct path? Then you can remove all the references from the external CSS too. There's no reason to use different code for different IEs.

Also, if you're using PIE.php then you don't need to worry with setting the content-type, that's only relevant if you're using the PIE.htc file directly.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:33 am

Just wanted to say that this update appears to be working very well. I'm using it on an HTML5 nav element with a JavaScript compatibility workaround. I also had to add the AddType line to my htaccess file, where it had been working fine with IE8. Thanks for all your work! Getting excited about text shadows as well!

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:35 am

Jason,

Obviously im a bit of a noob!

I was having trouble getting PIE to work with Wordpress originally and came across a solution which involved adding this to my functions.php file:

Quote:
function my_render_ie_pie() { echo '
<!--[if lte IE 8]>

<style type="text/css" media="screen">

.rounded-corners-nav, .rounded-corners-tabs, .rounded-corners-3, .rounded-corners-20, .gradient-blue, .gradient-sub, .gradient-divide, .gradient-box, .box-shadow-main, .box-shadow-grey {
behavior: url('.trailingslashit(get_bloginfo("template_url")).'PIE.php); }

</style>

<![endif]-->

'
;
}
add_action('wp_head', 'my_render_ie_pie', 8);

And since you mentioned it i just realised how dumb i am. All i had to change is <!--[if lte IE 8]> to <!--[if IE]> and it works in IE9. /facepalm

Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:19 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next