Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Double license PIE under Apache License and GPL2? 

Post Double license PIE under Apache License and GPL2?
Hi!
I have just stumbled upon PIE while browsing ajaxian.com and I really love this library, but there is one small issue that is preventing me from using it.

Even though Apache license is compatible with GPL, it's not possible to host themes with non-GPL files on Drupal.org (and most likely on WordPress.org). Have you considered double licensing PIE under Apache and GPL2 licenses? This would make bundling and distributing it much easier for many people.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 am

Post Re: Double license PIE under Apache License and GPL2?
I hadn't considered it, but I'm open to the idea. I'll do a little research on the subject. Thanks for bringing this up!

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:43 pm

WordPress.org will host and distribute things that are GPL v2 compatible. Apache 2.0 is GPL v3 compatible, but not 2.0 compatible.

So, yeah it looks like you can't distribute PIE in plugins and themes hosted on WP.org under the Apache license (though it in no way violates WP's license).

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:07 pm
Profile WWW

Drupal.org policy is even more restrictive - it's not allowed to bundle third-party libraries with modules, and in case of themes, bundled libraries must be licensed under GPL2 or later.

http://drupal.org/node/272652
Quote:
Anything that is contributed to Drupal, either as a patch or checked into CVS, must be under the same license as Drupal itself, GPL version 2 or later. While it is permitted to mix Drupal and code under, say, a BSD license, it can be confusing if you don't know which code can or cannot then be redistributed under some other license. Therefore, Drupal's CVS policy is "if it comes out of CVS, it's GPL version 2 or later. If you are not OK with that, don't commit it to CVS."

http://drupal.org/node/103704
Quote:
All code must be licensed under GNU/GPL Version 2 or later. If there is a problem with this, contact the repository administrators.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:57 pm

Thanks for the info guys. It's very important to me that both these communities (and others which may have similar requirements) be able to use and distribute PIE. Therefore I will change the license to a dual license of GPL2 plus a more liberal license.

I've opened http://github.com/lojjic/PIE/issues/issue/44 as a todo. This will be in place by beta2.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Thanks! I have just started integrating PIE with my free Drupal themes, works great so far.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]