Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Works in IE7, works in IE8 compat mode, fails in IE8 

Post Works in IE7, works in IE8 compat mode, fails in IE8
So I've just gone into my first foray with CSS3 Pie, and put simply, it doesn't work in IE8. It works in IE7, it works in IE8 compatibility mode, but not itn IE8.

What should I try to get it to work?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:32 pm

Post Re: Works in IE7, works in IE8 compat mode, fails in IE8
I also have the same problem and am awaiting a solution. I've done two test cases in IE8, and the same page works for IE6 and IE7, but not IE8. I've tried position: relative, position: absolute, the element should be correct in the stacking order, etc. If there ARE IE8-specific CSS properties that can fix it, that's great, but it would be nice if the script was just an install once kind of scenario.

Another major problem with that is that it's not rendering the fallback background color in IE8, meaning that there's no fallback if PIE fails to load, the way there is with CSS3 in other browsers now. I don't know if that's technically feasible, but it might be good to point that out as a warning when using the script.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's clear there are some IE8-related bugs that are very annoying. These are a top priority for me to get figured out for beta2.

It would help greatly if you could help come up with testcases that exhibit buggy behavior, that would make it much easier for me to find fixes.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:29 pm

companyoffairies (dot) com

The testimonial should have an RGBA background with rounded corners. Works in IE6, 7, and IE8 compatibility mode (which is basically 7). Doesn't work in IE8 standards mode.

Thanks!

-Matthew

Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:54 pm

Oops! I tested it again and it DOESN'T, in fact, work on IE anywhere, and least not when scrolling the element. The content scrolls right out of its PIE-generated background. :-(

It's an unrelated bug to the one I listed, but I wanted to pass that along as well.

-Matthew

Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:04 pm

Thanks very much for the info, Matthew. I played around with your site a bit using the Web Developer Toolbar. The IE8 issue is definitely a z-index problem. I know you said before you had tried position:relative before, but perhaps something has changed since then?

The scrolling issue is a funny one. I've opened http://github.com/lojjic/PIE/issues/issue/33 to try and tackle that in the future. But for now, it appears that if you give the scrollable container element (.m-w1) both position:relative and z-index:0, then everything starts working properly. It also fixes another bug in IE7 where the "Home" title was not scrolling either.

Hope that helps!

Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:17 am

Ah, I should clarify that I tried position: relative in another case that I didn't submit (a drop-down menu), and it didn't fix it. That one I didn't think I could share without possibly angering a client. I hadn't tried adding position: relative to the site I posted here. (Oops.) But, regardless, it would be nice if IE8 behaved like IE7/6 without adding extra CSS.

I will test this right away. I was worried that scrolling was going to be too complex and I'd have to forego using the script, but if that solves it, that will be a pile of awesomesauce.

Thanks so much!

-Matthew

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:49 am

TOTALLY WORKS. You rock.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:35 pm

I ran into this as well. I had an a I was making into a button with border radius, box-shadow and linear-gradient. Border-radius was working in IE8 but not pie background gradient, which was working in ie7. Doing position:relative; got the linear gradient back. Box-shadow isn't working in IE at all for this element... but that's for another thread.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:41 pm

"both position:relative and z-index:0"

This saved my day at last and after one day of trying to fix my layout.

Thanks, you *really* rock! :mrgreen:

Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next