Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 adding support for ie6 unsupported css2? 

Post adding support for ie6 unsupported css2?
hi there! i love pie very much and it's been a lifesaver for my recent html projects. one thing that bothers me, tho, is that certain unsupported css2 (that's 2, not 3) properties in ie6 still aren't handled; i particularly refer to min-height & min-width, but ie6 is notorious for its lackluster support of css2.

will emulation of css2 properties like min-height & min-width ever be added to css3pie (which i'm aware is primarily for enhancing ie's css3 capabilities, but still)? if not, can you recommend a viable solution (preferably lightweight and NOT using ie's css expressions)? thanks in advance for taking the time to consider this request.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:23 am

Post Re: adding support for ie6 unsupported css2?
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't given much thought to implementing fixes not related to CSS3 decorations, but it's an interesting idea. I don't think I'd be against the idea, though I'd definitely want it to be done as a separate optional module, or maybe even as a totally separate .htc file. Maybe I'll do that in the future, or if you or someone else wanted to take a stab at it that would be wonderful.

You mentioned min-height and max-height, any others? One that always annoys me is the off-by-1px rounding error when absolutely positioning elements from the bottom or right.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:30 pm

well, quirksmode seems to have a pretty complete listing of the css2 capabilities of browsers, and eric meyer's css2 test suite looks to be pretty full-featured. maybe fixing selector support as well?

off the top of my head, tho, one thing that always bothered me abt ie6 is that its support for elements w/multiple classes was especially borked; acc. to the chart it says the last declared class is the one used by ie6. also, setting display to any of the table values for non-table elements is non-existent as well. i've also yet to run into the off-by-1px error in non-percentage values of widths or heights or position, but almost always run into the double-margins on floated elements (which seems to happen less frequently since incorporating jqueryUI's ui-helper-clearfix class).

as for creating an .htc, i don't currently have experience doing that (my javascript coding is pretty straightforward, even with jquery), and to be honest i don't think i'd have the patience to test every update to the .htc to make sure the resulting styling is to spec; ATM i just use conditional includes of ie6 specific stylesheets. a css2pie for ie6 & 7, tho not as essential as css3pie, would be nice to see, tho! :)

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:38 pm

Adding/fixing selector support is something PIE will definitely never do. There are already good projects out there that handle this to varying degrees (IE7.js, eCSStender, Selectivizr) so there's no use reinventing the wheel. Have you tried using any of those? I'd be interested to know if/how they work in combination with PIE for rendering.

The IE6 compound classes bug is definitely a huge annoyance though. The double margin bug I've just gotten in the habit of setting display:inline on everything that I float.

Come to think of it, the place where I usually ran into the off-by-1px positioning bug was when I used to have to position rounded-corner images on the bottom and right of containers. Which went away once I wrote PIE of course. ;) Perhaps that's not as big of an issue anymore.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:49 pm

i knew abt IE7.js and i think i heard abt selectivizr in passing while looking for modernizr documentation, but eCSStender is new to me. i'll try them out in conjunction w/css3pie during the wk; thanks!

Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]