Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 About opacity and size with PIE V 2 ? 

Post About opacity and size with PIE V 2 ?
Hi there, at first, sorry for my poor Englis, as much I'm French and it's unusual for me to write in such language...

So, my thoughts :
I like very much to use PIE for rounds corners and shadows, however, I think since a long time there are two "stupidities" inside ?

First is color of background WITHOUR opacity ? ? ? In such case, easyer and I think more usefull to not look at this ? Better may be to make backgroundColor every time "transparent", like this color AND opacity will be kepted from css ? BECAUSE ALL don't use rgba, MANY are OBLIGED to use hexadecimal, like me...

After, about size... Everytime PIE change size, but for what ? ? ? For example one box 100 x 100 pixels. All Navigator, with border 4 pixels width, will show one box outside 108 x 108 pixels. But PIE will put 2 x 4 LESS, and in fact we'll have one box 92 x92 pixels ! It mean between Firefox and Internet for example 16 pixels more little in Ie... Better was to ask PIE to give 2 x 4 MORE, as Ie draw borders inside ?

I wrote a long time ago one rulls for such prupose, with JavaScript, able to give size more by 2 x with of bordure.
For example in css : left:10px,top:10px,width:100px;height:100px and I get in all Navigator 10 / 10 / 108 / 108 visivle with one border 4 of width, and for Ie I had 10 / 10 / 100 + 8 / 100 + 8, in fact exactly the same to see. And it was well working with PIE 1 ! And background ans opacity was well kepted TOO.

So, why did you change all of this, because I ca, to imagine you had one good reason ? If it is for gradient, I can't agree, as much better to use one shape 1 x X pixels in .png with repeat-x or y ? Between 50 and 200 octets ONLY, and because so less heavy, I'll NEVER ask one computer to calculte color in place of such little pic...

Whishing you'll answer, but unfortunately I'll use back PIE 1 ? Kind regards, Yvanoph---

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:27 am

Post Re: About opacity and size with PIE V 2 ?
It is difficult to understand your problems, with the language barrier, so I'm going to ask for some clarifications:

Quote:
First is color of background WITHOUR opacity ? ? ? In such case, easyer and I think more usefull to not look at this ? Better may be to make backgroundColor every time "transparent", like this color AND opacity will be kepted from css ? BECAUSE ALL don't use rgba, MANY are OBLIGED to use hexadecimal, like me...

Are you saying you are unable to use hex colors? That should be fully supported, and it works in my test cases. Can you provide a code example that does not work?

Quote:
For example one box 100 x 100 pixels. All Navigator, with border 4 pixels width, will show one box outside 108 x 108 pixels. But PIE will put 2 x 4 LESS, and in fact we'll have one box 92 x92 pixels ! It mean between Firefox and Internet for example 16 pixels more little in Ie... Better was to ask PIE to give 2 x 4 MORE, as Ie draw borders inside ?

Are you saying that PIE is rendering the backgrounds for boxes smaller than the boxes themselves? Can you provide a code example with screenshots?

Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:51 pm

Post Hi there, at first, THANK's VERY much you took time to try..
... to undestand me ! ! ! Really !
So, it's easy to undestand about opacity :
We are allowed to use ONLY hexadecimal color, for example #FFFFFF, by SIX letters, #FFF or white is usauly the same, but NOT alowed in our Soft...
Opacity every time is asked to be wrote between 0 and 99 BECAUSE in css is 0.??, and after variable is 0.50 for example ?
In ALL Navigator it's good like this excepted IF PIE ask for rounders coins...
Wrote like this 10px 0px 0px 0px, ANY opacity, only 100% rendered BUT if NO rounder coin, for example 0px 0px 0px 0px, with opacity like 0.0, background become invisible; like in other brothers ! ! !
I can send you one link by MP, but is it possible here ? In other case, my mail box is direction (at) 3alannet.com, you can delete this after reading ?

For size, really it's smaller TWO width of border ! As much width than height when BETTER will be to become BIGER TWO size of width of borders ?

As I wrote, usually one "<div>" 100x100 withe applied border all sides 5px will look like 110x110, but with PIE actived, it become 90x90...

Again THANK'S VERY MUCH to try to understand my poor English, kind regards, Yvanoph---

for example, what I can to send to you will show tree boxes, one with rounds corners up and loosed opacity, middle WITHOUT corners and WITHOUT shadows, so GOOD working for opacity, and last down with rounded corners down and shadows, but loosed opacity...

Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:50 pm

Post Hi there, any news more ? ? ?
About size as much opacity, you can look an example here :

http://forum.abc-d-xwd.com/

On left side there is a "Social Box", with all, as much shadows than rounded corners or opacity, il I well remember 85.
With FireFox, size is good, opacity too as much it's possible to see a little bit the left column under this box, but with Internet Explorer, size expected BIGGER by my script is MORE little and NO opacity...
However my script to have bigger size with width of border is well working, because it's possible to see new sizes by F12, but your script make this becoming less ?

Initial size is 183 pixels, with borders 4 pixels, this box look 191 pixels in FireFox.
My script to have the same look ask only for Ie to do this, 183+(2*4)=191,
but your script make 183-(2*4)=175 !
Your script do opposite of what we need in fact...

Waiting your answer since near two weeks, kind regards, Yvanoph---

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:56 am

So looking at your page, PIE appears to be rendering the box at the same size as the div, and since the size of the div is controlled only by your CSS, this doesn't appear to be a problem with PIE.

My buest guess is that you've inadvertently triggered quirks mode, which causes IE to render using its old buggy box model where it behaves as if you had set box-sizing:border-box. Try setting a correct doctype to trigger standards mode and see if that helps.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Post YES ! ! ! You're right about "Quirks mode" ! ! !
Every time I forget this...
So about size, as much as in Ie 7 than 8 or 9 it's good working ! About shadows and rounded corners too !
Unfortunately about opacity, it's always NOT working...
Excepted if I ask WITHOUT shadow and rouded corners... If I'll ask them 0 only like value, and NOT 0px 0px 0px 0px, opacity is well working.
After I'm OBLIGED to keep this html 4 transitional, not allowed to change DocType...
So, what to do ? Do you think you'll have one solution ?

Kind regards, Yvanoph---

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:39 pm

When you say "opacity", are you referring to the opacity property, or something else like rgba alpha channel? PIE has never supported the opacity property in IE8 or below.

It would be very helpful if you could paste code snippets here so I can tell what exactly you are talking about.

Regarding the quirks mode box sizing issue, that's all handled by IE and there's nothing PIE can do about it.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]