Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 How to force CSS3PIE to do IE8-type rendering in IE9 

Post How to force CSS3PIE to do IE8-type rendering in IE9
Greetings. Painted myself into a bit of a corner here, and I'm hoping someone here will share some wisdom to resolve it.

Use case is as follows:
- we started by building a web site which is targeted for standards (IE10, FF, Chrome, Safari). Works and looks great.
- Client change-requested to add support for IE8 and IE9 (no big deal, right)
- Working within the budget, we applied specific fixes for IE8 (which included using CSS3Pie) and created satisfactory version in IE8.
- Budget is now finished
- Site still looks like shit in IE9, with and without the IE8 fixes applied.
- It was decided we will support IE9 users by forcing IE9 to render using IE8's engine. This was a business decision and I have no control over it, so please... advising me that we should have taken a different approach will not be helpful in my situation.

Consequently, the website appears satisfactory in IE9. However... the trouble is, with certain CSS3 features such as rounded corners.

CSS3Pie knows it is running in IE9, and so it does not perform the upgrades to rounded corner elements because it thinks they are supported natively in IE9. However, because the IE9 is actually running using the IE8 engine, it is not implementing its native support for rounded corners.

Therefore, I need a way to tell CSS3PIE that it still needs to render all of its beautiful IE8 upgrades, even though it's actually running in IE9.

Have you ever been asked this before? :)

Thank you in advance.

Christin

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Post Re: How to force CSS3PIE to do IE8-type rendering in IE9
At work, we force IE9,10,11 in IE8 mode (with a html meta "...IE=8"), and we use PIE.js.
Dirty, but it works like a charm.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:08 am

In your implementation (using js instead of htc), how did you specifically force the script to revert to the IE8 optimizations, despite whichever version of IE was actually in use?

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:12 pm

Turned out to be an entirely different issue, and it's still not solved.

Using PIE_uncompressed.htc for troubleshooting purposes... and it's not even loading in IE9. Still works like a charm in IE8.

I read the documentation.

I have ruled out IIS not having the htc MIME type set. It's properly set to text/x-component.

I am also trying to ensure that the path to the htc file is set correctly in the stylesheet, as I am aware that it must be relative to the html page rather than relative to the stylesheet. I have tried a number of different relative and absolute path settings in the sheet, and of all the ones that worked in IE8, none yet have worked at all in IE9.

Any more ideas?

Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]