Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 hide element until pie.htc has done it's job 

Post hide element until pie.htc has done it's job
Hey everyone, I'm wondering how I can achieve that an element with border radius is not visible until pie.htc has done it's job. The problem: you can see the element without border radius for a moment when the page is loading. That's a little bit annoying. Any idea how to solve this issue (maybe with jQuery)?

Thu May 19, 2011 3:15 am

Post Re: hide element until pie.htc has done it's job
Personally I think that hiding the element would be just as annoying, if not more so, than letting its square corners show briefly.

Every so often someone brings up the FOSC (flash of square corners). I'm always a bit baffled that people see this as an issue, because the usual alternative (background images for the corners) would also result in an initial display with square or missing corners while the images load. Also, the FOSC is in my experience only an issue on the first page load -- once the .htc file is downloaded and cached then it usually applies itself right away before the browser has a chance to display the square corners.

Anyway, if you're set on trying to do something like that, I unfortunately can't think of an easy way to do it without hacking PIE's code. You'd have to set visibility:hidden in your CSS, and then hack into some code into PIE that would unhide it when PIE is done applying itself.

Thu May 19, 2011 9:38 am

Post Re: hide element until pie.htc has done it's job
Thanks for your reply, Jason. I agree. But in some cases the temporary missing border radius is realy eye-catching. I have to implement an quite spacy design with some circular elements (including background-image). But I think there isn't a good alternative to pie.htc (e.g. Flash or overlaying png's with circular hole) - so for me it's the best choice at the moment.

I thought about hacking into the .htc file but I'm not a javascript(or whatever is used) expert, so either someone else with higher skills will handle this or I must to be content with the current solution.

Thu May 19, 2011 10:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]