Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 what happens when IE9 is out? 

Post what happens when IE9 is out?
is there a way to hide the htc from IE9 so it does not download it?
can i put the call to the file in a separate css file that onlt IE8 and below call it?
say i call
#wrapper
{
border-radius:5px;
}
in the main css
and
#wrapper
{
behavior: url(PIE.htc);
}
in a separate IE css file?
or does it have to be in the same rule as the css attribute?

or is there a better way?

thanks

Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:42 am

Post Re: what happens when IE9 is out?
Very good question!

The answer is difficult, since we don't yet know for sure exactly what CSS3 features IE9 final will support. It already supports a decent subset of the CSS3 Backgrounds and Borders module, and ideally IE9 would support natively everything PIE supports so we could just ignore it altogether. However it seems quite likely that there will be good chunks of functionality that don't make it in. We'll be keeping a close eye on IE9 development as it nears the final release to see how we can provide those missing features without stepping on the things it renders natively.

However if you choose to hide PIE from IE9 altogether, then as you suggested conditional comments would be a decent method. Another possibility is using some CSS3 selector only supported by IE9 to set behavior:none, which has the advantage of living in the same stylesheet as the rest of your code.

Any other ideas?

Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:11 pm

For what it's worth, the first full beta version of IE9 will be released on 15th September 2010.

That's the date from which we all need to start seriously considering support for it. Until now it's been preview releases, which only developers will have bothered with, but the beta will get some people using it as a general usage browser.

No date yet for a full non-beta release, but given the pace of development of the previews I'd be willing to bet it'll be out before the end of the year.

As far as I can tell, IE9 supports all the features that PIE is trying to deal with.

I was concerned there might be a clash in IE9 between PIE doing its thing and IE9 styling the elements as intended. But I've tried our site, and for what its worth, it looks perfect in IE9, and I can't see any sign of the PIE styles.

That said, css3pie.com itself looks disasterous in IE9 preview 4. Page layout is all over the place, and the Javascript to turn the PIE styles on and off doesn't seem to work. (the demo box itself does load correctly though)

Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:35 am

Well, it's here now.

I've used PIE CSS3 extensively over countless sites and I can't find any clash with the script and IE9

But how does it work with IE9? Is IE9 ignoring the script or is it implementing the PIE border radius over the native CSS border radius? (The difference between them is actually hard to tell - which is what I like so much about PIE)

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:47 am
Profile WWW

Just looking further it is apparent that gradients aren't supported in IE9 so that's an issue for PIE to tackle

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:55 am
Profile WWW

Hi guys, first post here, love css3.

I get the following error when running our app under ie9 beta:

b.namespaces.add("css3vml","urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml")

where namespaces is undefined.

I think the easiest way would be to check within the .htc if we are running under ie9 and in that case simply exit. At least hat is much better than nasty javascript warnings and sites not working.

Thanks
Martin

Here is the complete code up to this point:
<!--
PIE: CSS3 rendering for IE
Version 1.0beta2
http://css3pie.com
Dual-licensed for use under the Apache License Version 2.0 or the General Public License (GPL) Version 2.
-->
<PUBLIC:COMPONENT lightWeight="true">
<PUBLIC:ATTACH EVENT="onresize" FOR="element" ONEVENT="update()" />
<PUBLIC:ATTACH EVENT="onresize" FOR="window" ONEVENT="update()" />
<PUBLIC:ATTACH EVENT="onmove" FOR="element" ONEVENT="update()" />
<PUBLIC:ATTACH EVENT="onpropertychange" FOR="element" ONEVENT="propChanged()" />
<PUBLIC:ATTACH EVENT="onmouseenter" FOR="element" ONEVENT="mouseEntered()" />
<PUBLIC:ATTACH EVENT="onmouseleave" FOR="element" ONEVENT="mouseLeft()" />
<PUBLIC:ATTACH EVENT="oncontentready" FOR="element" ONEVENT="update()" />
<PUBLIC:ATTACH EVENT="ondocumentready" FOR="element" ONEVENT="update()" />
<PUBLIC:ATTACH EVENT="ondetach" FOR="element" ONEVENT="cleanup()" />

<script type="text/javascript">
function i(){return function(){}}var D=window.PIE;
if(!D){D=window.PIE={T:"-pie-",Ma:"Pie",Ka:"pie_"};if(!window.XMLHttpRequest){D.Yb=true;D.T=D.T.replace(/^-/,"")}D.oa=element.document.documentMode;D.Da=!!D.oa;if(D.oa===8){D.Ca={ya:{},add:function(a){this.ya[a.id||(a.id=""+(new Date).getTime()+Math.random())]=a},remove:function(a){delete this.ya[a.id]},Tb:function(){var a=this.ya,b;for(b in a)a.hasOwnProperty(b)&&a[b]()}};setInterval(function(){D.Ca.Tb()},250)}D.q={ja:function(a){var b=D.Gb;if(!b){b=D.Gb=element.document.createDocumentFragment();
b.namespaces.add("css3vml","urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml")

Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:44 am

Thanks for the info, Martin. I've been thinking the same thing, that at least for the time being we should just exit early if it's IE9. I've been having trouble installing the IE9 beta in my VM but hopefully I'll get that working soon so I can test it. If anyone wants to tackle it in the meantime that would be awesome.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:23 am

Hi,guys please help me out..
I am afraid to download Internet Explorer 8. What will happen when I do?
Will I have to reset everything? Will it wipe-out any of my old info? Do I have to get rid of my old browser? (I think it is IE6.) Please explain to me what happens when you change browsers.

Help will be really appreciated!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Want to know about themes visit latest wordpress themes | classified theme

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]