Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 I don't get PIE 

Post I don't get PIE
Considering that users still running IE6 are probably stuck on Celeron-based computers or equivalent, could someone explain to me why introducing the extra processing overhead to draw these decorations every time the page is loaded is better than serving them a cacheable image?

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:15 pm

Post Re: I don't get PIE
I'm not sure I can answer your question sufficiently. Everyone needs to weigh the pros and cons themselves to see if using PIE is worthwhile. Performance is definitely one aspect of that. I suspect from your tone that your answer would be no, so I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. If the performance cost outweighs the other gains, then don't use it. Simple as that. Use the best tool for your particular job.

For me, PIE is not a tool for improving IE so much as it is a tool for stopping the punishment of CSS3 capable browsers. Your cacheable image, while it might be faster than PIE in IE, makes every other browser slower than it has to be. PIE was begun primarily as a tool to improve the performance of capable browsers using CSS3, in situations where having the exact same rendering in IE is required. The fact that it makes development much easier is a nice side effect.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:09 pm

I agree with Jason. I believe that efforts such as this can help to push the development in the right direction. I would much rather serve rounded corners through CSS Pie to legacy browsers, than sending the otherwise bloated HTML & unnecessary images.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:43 am

Quote:
For me, PIE is not a tool for improving IE so much as it is a tool for stopping the punishment of CSS3 capable browsers. Your cacheable image, while it might be faster than PIE in IE, makes every other browser slower than it has to be.

Displaying a cached image will always be faster than performing drawing computations, in any browser, not just IE.

My concern is that implementing PIE will punish legacy users on old hardware (many of whom are not legacy users by choice) with slower page loads and painful reflows.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:31 pm

Quote:
Displaying a cached image will always be faster than performing drawing computations, in any browser, not just IE.

So you are saying that using native border-radius in Firefox or Chrome or IE9 will be slower than the extra markup and CSS positioning that would be required to implement rounded corners with images? This has not been my experience but maybe I'm wrong. I'd love to see some numbers on that if you have them.

Quote:
My concern is that implementing PIE will punish legacy users on old hardware (many of whom are not legacy users by choice) with slower page loads and painful reflows.

Like I said, if your concern for this outweighs the benefits of an abstraction like PIE, then don't use it. Simple as that.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:41 am

Personally I don't give a damn with people using IE6 anymore. It has caused us as developers serious strife. I simply show them a simplified version of the site, and prompt them with a link to download to see the correct design.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]