Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Internet Explorer Bug - Background Image size won't update 

Post Internet Explorer Bug - Background Image size won't update
Hello and thanks in the first place for PIE.

I was developing a site with PHP under wampserver.
In my first design, I had a background gif with a 24px height, applied to some element using -pie-background. Later I changed the background and expanded its height to 32 pixels. But after that, IE 8 showed the new background ... scaled to the old 24px height! There isn't even one 24px metric in the CSS. Ctrl+F5 and clearing the cache did NOT work.

What fixed it was to change the background image file name.

Look at des1.gif in the attachments. It's my original 24px-height design (it isn't relevant of course)
Then des2.gif is the new design with 32px height.
Look at render.png to see how IE8 rendered it. It uses the new background but with the old height.

Not sure if I should give more details here?

Best regards.

Attachments:
File comment: render.png
render.png [7.92 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
File comment: des2.gif
des2.gif [2.11 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
File comment: des1.gif
des1.gif [2 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Last edited by Hossein on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:19 am

Post Re: Possible Bug - Strange Caching Issue
Yes, this is an obscure, little-known bug in IE's engine, which I've run into in the past when not using PIE. Sometimes when you have images that are inserted via javascript, it remembers the dimensions of the images in some mystery cache and doesn't update them even when the image itself changes. Very annoying! See http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... 1f69b8e89/ for some discussion around this.

Unfortunately since this is a bug in IE itself there isn't anything that PIE can do to prevent it, that I know of.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:15 pm

Apparently the easy solution seems to be renaming the image file. I didn't want to rename it, so I renamed http://localhost/ to http://localhost2/ to get rid of the problem. (Site is currently being developed).

I changed the title of this topic to something more reasonable so new people can find it easier. Anyway if this is going to happen a lot it may require an FAQ item for its own.

Best Regards.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]