Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Feature specific versions 

Post Feature specific versions
I know this has been asked before and that it is under consideration, but I was wondering if any progress has been made towards creating feature specific versions of PIE? Like many other posters I need only border-radius and box-shadow (thought text-shadow would be nice in the future).

I have been looking at the source to see if I can strip it down myself, but not being an experienced javascript coder, I am having difficulties figuring out the interdependency between sections. An idea in lieu of a customizable download, would be to put simple marker comments in the uncompressed versions ... ie: start core components, end core components, start border-radius, end border-radius, start needed for border-radius box-shadow, end needed for, etc. Then those of us who want to reduce the file size, can do so with less trial and error.

And a final question, since I have never dealt with modifying an HTC file, can the stripped version then be run through a javascript compressor like Google's or Yahoo's, same as a js file or do they mess up the htc specific items?

Sun May 13, 2012 10:14 pm

Post Re: Feature specific versions
Unfortunately no progress has been made yet on that front.

FYI I did a little test commenting out all the code related to border-image and linear-gradient and it only saved about 5k. There's not much more that can be stripped out if you want fully functional border-radius and box-shadow.

Mon May 14, 2012 9:35 am

Post Re: Feature specific versions
Thanks for the update.

While 5K is not a huge difference, in this day & age where speed counts, every little bit helps. Will spend some more time exploring the code to see if I can strip those two out.

And a big thanks for making PIE!

Mon May 14, 2012 9:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]