Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 PIE screws up with IE9 backgrounds 

Post PIE screws up with IE9 backgrounds
It just came to my attention that our website, which works beautifully in IE7 and IE8 and PIE, doesn't render properly with IE9 and PIE. What seems to happen is PIE turns the gradient backgrounds to white, even if I've specified a fallback background color. Because we typically have white letters on gradient backgrounds, the site is pretty confusing for IE9 users.

So I'm thinking to test for IE9 in javascript and turn off PIE, but our gradients typically have color-stops that are actually pretty important for certain items to line up properly... and it seems I can't do that with the IE filter code for gradients. And apparently IE9 doesn't support css3 gradient backgrounds. So ideally I can somehow get PIE to work properly with IE9. Is it possible?

Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Post Re: PIE screws up with IE9 backgrounds
Until PIE does gradients on IE9, I suggest you use conditional comments to load a separate stylesheet for IE9 that sets behavior:none and adds linear gradients via DirectX instead.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:10 pm

But the DirectX mechanism doesn't support color stops... only a start color and end color. Color stops are critical to my whole layout and website.

Is there anything else that PIE supported in IE8 and below but not in IE9?

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:21 pm

Right, sorry, I forgot the colour stops requirement. No coffee yet on Sunday morning!

You can get that by using SVG (which IE9 supports "natively" :) ). See here for a good example.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:31 pm

I second webaware on the SVG, that is the recommended approach for IE9 until PIE can start doing it.

Mueller, you said that your fallback background color is not working... can you paste in your CSS code that includes the fallback? I want to examine it to make sure PIE isn't doing anything it shouldn't. Theoretically, PIE should be doing nothing at all in IE9 so it shouldn't affect any fallback behavior.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:54 pm

maybe muller is not using the last version of PIE if the fallback color isn't interpreted

Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:38 am

I am using the latest version of PIE. Interestingly, on production, the fallback color is not rendered. But locally it is... same exact code. Maybe some kind of security issue? If I use the developer tools and turn on and off the background color, it shows up!

I'm investigating...

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]