[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
CSS3 PIE Forums - View topic - Does adding PIE affect browser rendering time?
Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Does adding PIE affect browser rendering time? 

Post Does adding PIE affect browser rendering time?
I am using PIE in my latest project in rails. The issue is that once it is rendered it slows down the reaction to keyboard/mouse events! A simple scrolling of the page takes nearly few seconds to complete. This is noticed only in firefox. Could it be PIE or probably because i am running addons (Firebug, MeasureIt)? On other browsers (Safari/Chrome) it starts behaving in a similar manner with 50 or more DOM elements having PIE applied to it.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:03 pm

Post Re: Does adding PIE affect browser rendering time?
To be clear: PIE only does anything in IE. In other browsers, it does nothing at all, it doesn't even download the behavior file.

So I don't think your performance issues in FF/Safari/Chrome can be related at all to PIE.

That said, it's very possible that these browsers aren't yet optimized for certain aspects of CSS3 rendering. I'd suggest removing certain CSS3 styles (e.g. just remove box-shadow) and see if you can isolate what property is causing the slowdown.

The fact that you don't include IE in the list of browsers that slow down is very encouraging to me. :)

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:01 am

I just started redesigning a site using some CSS3 stuff and i encountered the same performance problems. For example setting a box shadow on my page wrapper really slowed down scrolling and some :hover effects. Without the box shadow all is well.
Both Firefox and IE8 (using PIE) have this problem, while Chrome is behaving fine.

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_fo ... &forumId=1

What it boils down to is that most browsers just don't have a good implementation of the css3 spec yet and i think it will be a couple of years before we can use most of the css3 without having to worry about performance or other browser quirks.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks for the response Jason. Looks like it is to do with browser quirks rather than PIE. After removing the box-shadow property, it works fine. Though i miss having box-shadow. I hate trade-offs!! :cry:

Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:55 pm

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:58 am

Hi assortmentofsorts. Hopefully you get this post as I realise this topic was raised in August.

I see that you have managed to get PIE working in your rails app. I was wondering if you could give me a few pointers on how you have done this. You are the only person who I have come across in my web search who has a reference to both PIE and rails.
Basically I have downloaded PIE and have the PIE.htc file sitting in my application structure and have added the behavior: url(/PIE.htc); line in my stylesheet having adapted the file path.

When I refresh my app in IE I notice I get the error ActionController::RoutingError (No route matches "/public/stylesheets/PIE.htc" with {:method=>:get}):
So from this I gather I need to add a line in my routes file? This is where I struggle. I am fairly new to rails so any pointers you can offer are really appreciated.

Hope you can help, or anyone else for that matter :)
Thanks in advance

Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:32 am

Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]