Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Disappearing backgd and border in a particular IE8 install 

Post Disappearing backgd and border in a particular IE8 install
In all IE versions I tested, the pie.htc script works as expected, but on my clients' IE8/Win7 setup unfortunately, the .button divs lose their background and the rounded border on the .wrapper div vanishes as well.

I can't reproduce this via netrenderer or my own IE8 installation (in a VM). Does anyone have a pointer where to start to debug this?

http://metterwijs.nl

Arjen

Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:49 am

Post Re: Disappearing backgd and border in a particular IE8 insta
Ask your client if their browser is able to render the demos at raphaeljs.com, e.g. http://raphaeljs.com/tiger.html

It seems that there is some small percentage of IE installations that do not have a working VML engine, and in this case PIE beta4 is unable to render the effects. Current dev code has an added check to make sure there is a functional VML engine present before trying to render, so it doesn't make everything transparent but just leaves it without CSS3 styling as a fallback.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:13 am

Ok, fair enough. Any idea how small the percentage of IE8 browsers without a functional VML engine is? Can't find info on it using my google-fu.

I'll probably have to convince my client that she's part of a very small minority that can't view the site properly, or I have to resort to old-skool methods using images for the rounded stuff...

thanx

Arjen

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:41 am

Sorry, I have no metrics on that. But it's only been reported to me by 2 or 3 users total.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:07 am

Also, this is all just a wild guess, this may not actually be the issue. Have them check the raphaeljs demos, if they work then this is not the problem.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:08 am

Rafael.js is not working either, they're seeing a brief flash in the bottom of the screen.

Which revision contains the VML checking code?

thnx,

Arjen

Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:25 pm

The VML check was merged at https://github.com/lojjic/PIE/commit/d8 ... 3d30ee253e

Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:58 pm

Hmm, compiled the latest PIE from source, made sure the vml checking code was in the uncompressed js file, uploaded it to the server but still no show:

user sees a short flash of the squared page elements and then they disappear. :(

Apparently the browser passes the test for VML, but doesn't draw the correct shapes. Is there maybe a test suite that can convey the browser capabilities?

Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:48 pm

This is happening because of a positioning issue and it has nothing to do with VML.

If I set the parent element to position: relative the child link backgrounds (with rounded corners and CSSPie) would just disappear.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:16 pm

TwisterMc wrote:
This is happening because of a positioning issue and it has nothing to do with VML.

If I set the parent element to position: relative the child link backgrounds (with rounded corners and CSSPie) would just disappear.

I don't understand what you are saying: are you referring to the site I mentioned: http://metterwijs.nl? The positioning seems to work fine in all IE8 versions I tested, just not the version my client is using. The border on the .wrapper element (which does not have a parent element with postion: relative) disappears as well. When I disable the PIE.htc code, the page renders normally (with straight corners).

Do you have suggestions to improve rendering?

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next