Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Drop Shadow Color in IE? 

Post Drop Shadow Color in IE?
Great project!

How can I control the color of the drop shadow in IE?

Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:53 pm

Post Re: Drop Shadow Color in IE?
The color parameter of the box-shadow property is honored by PIE:

box-shadow: #00F 2px 2px 3px;

However if you are using a large blur value, I have noticed that IE's blur algorithm skews more toward unsaturated (grayish) colors in the fringes of the blur than other browsers do. I'm doubtful there's any way to make it exactly the same. A possible workaround might be to use the prefixed -pie-box-shadow property to give IE a more saturated color than other browsers, so they match more closely when rendered.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:29 am

Forgive me if I am missing something, but I cannot get a lighter color to register in IE. I am using a 6px blur with a 0px offset and attempting to apply #ddd to -pie-box-shadow

Here is my CSS:

<style type="text/css">
#generic_box_id { -moz-box-shadow:#ccc 0px 0px 6px; -webkit-box-shadow:#ccc 0px 0px 6px; box-shadow:#ccc 0px 0px 6px; behavior:url(PIE.htc); position:relative; }
-pie-box-shadow { color:#eee }
</style>

Is it the Selector or the Property for -pie-box-shadow that I am screwing up?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:05 pm

It would be something more like this:

Code:
#generic_box_id {
    -moz-box-shadow:#ccc 0px 0px 6px;
    -webkit-box-shadow:#ccc 0px 0px 6px;
    box-shadow:#ccc 0px 0px 6px;
    -pie-box-shadow: #eee 0px 0px 6px;
    behavior:url(PIE.htc); position:relative;
}

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:14 pm

Thanks for the clarification Jason.

Unfortunately, even applying #fff does nothing for it's darkness.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:21 pm

You're right. I just tried it locally and you can't get the shadow to go past a certain point toward white. The blur filter makes the blurry part grayish no matter how light the actual color is.

I thought to suggest using an rgba color with a low alpha value to make it more transparent, but when I tried that I found another bug: apparently rgba on the box-shadow makes it go to black when blurred. Yuck!

I'll be opening a bug ticket to try and get these things to behave better. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

FWIW, '#ddd 0 0 6px' in FF and WebKit is (at least on my monitor) practically invisible.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:18 pm

jason wrote:
You're right. I just tried it locally and you can't get the shadow to go past a certain point toward white. The blur filter makes the blurry part grayish no matter how light the actual color is.

I thought to suggest using an rgba color with a low alpha value to make it more transparent, but when I tried that I found another bug: apparently rgba on the box-shadow makes it go to black when blurred. Yuck!

I'll be opening a bug ticket to try and get these things to behave better. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

FWIW, '#ddd 0 0 6px' in FF and WebKit is (at least on my monitor) practically invisible.

Hey Jason,

No worries! You're doing us all a favor by creating and supporting this. No apology necessary.

I attempted to use #ddd just on -pie-box-shadow to compensate, while leaving the -moz, -webkit, etc at a darker color.

Thanks for taking the time to check my issue out. I'll hang tight and keep an eye on updates.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:23 pm

FYI, the current development code contains a rewrite of box-shadow rendering which no longer uses the blur filter. A nice effect of this rewrite is that shadow colors are now accurate no matter the lightness of the color. The blur rendering is pretty much identical to other browsers now.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:55 pm

Sounds great Jason.

Thank you so much for addressing this.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:05 pm

beta v2 fixed every issue and more. Incredible work Jason!

Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]