[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
CSS3 PIE Forums - View topic - About the disappearing "margin-top" known issue on IE6 & IE7
Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 About the disappearing "margin-top" known issue on IE6 & IE7 

Post About the disappearing "margin-top" known issue on IE6 & IE7

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:44 am

Post Re: About the disappearing "margin-top" known issue on IE6 &

Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:05 am

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:26 am

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:07 am

oh, right, I missed these points... and I didn't consider everything... so finally, that IE6-IE7 bug is a very tough thing! :?

So, maybe, doing nothing and letting people write their CSS correctly would be better...? :lol:

Damn old IEs.

I didn't get the "insert a div *after* applying PIE" (I mean, I don't get why that would work), but if you say it works, fine, i'd like to see that!

Thanks for your answers.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:49 am

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:59 am

only bad people use negative margins!

... just kidding.

I recommend to avoid negative margins as IE6 hides anything of your element that gets out of the element's container.

Use position relative + negative top/left instead.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:32 am

FWIW, the solution described above:

<!--[if lt IE 8]><div style="height:0px; margin-bottom: 20px;"></div><![endif]-->

works for me. I had a container and the floated content within the container was popping up out of the container, UNTIL I either moused over the box (ie6) or resized the window (ie7) at which it would pop back down where it was supposed to be. Driving me crazy. I messed with clear, overflow,a floats, position, everything... then I realized that when I shut off PIE, everything was fine, so it had to be a PIE issue. Then I scoured this site looking for a fix and trying to change the hasLayout/zoom without success.

You should add this fix to the FAQ!

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:02 pm

Hi!

It's been quite a while, but I didn't forget this problem and am still thinking of a solution and a full test case as Jason asked me to do.

But in parallel, I'd like to ask Jason if he knew why this problem is presend with PIE, but it's not present in libraries such as .

Here's what I think:

If you inspect its on IE, you'll see that DD_roundies, like PIE, inserts an element (<ignore>) before the target element. But that <ignore> element is NOT in position: absolute. Its position isn't even set. Only its children (<shape>) are in position: absolute. The <ignore> element only has computed "left" and "top" values relative to its parent.

As a result, DD_roundies is compatible with margin-top on IE < 8, and it's also compatible with resizing / repositionning of the target element.

Why couldn't PIE do the same thing, when it inserts border-radius/background/box-shadow-related elements in the DOM ?

Thanks!

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:15 am

Interesting thought, I'll give it a look.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next