Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Can PIE and opacity work together in IE8? 

Post Can PIE and opacity work together in IE8?
I have a small test file that has a 50% opacity set for a div. When I use PIE to give the div rounded corners, the opacity goes away. I've tried putting the opacity both before and after the PIE reference in the CSS, but it happens either way.

If I remove the PIE reference, the opacity returns.

I saw a reference to opacity in the Documentation in the "rgba color values" section, but to be honest, I didn't really get what it was saying. I thought it meant that if I specified -pie-background as a solid color, that the opacity would display correctly, but it doesn't seem to work.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

G

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:12 pm

Post Re: Can PIE and opacity work together in IE8?
I assume that by "opacity" you mean you're using the alpha filter for IE. The short answer is that PIE doesn't yet honor this; there's a ticket open about it on GitHub. It's really a difficult problem to solve, because (1) opacity should act on the entire element including its background and foreground as a unit but in PIE the background and foreground are separate elements, and (2) IE's alpha filter is not really a true opacity transform and it converts any transparent/translucent pixels to opaque before applying its own opacity.

The bit about rgba just means that you can make the background-color transparent using rgba color notation. However this doesn't work very well if you have a box-shadow present.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Post Re: Can PIE and opacity work together in IE8?
Yes, that's what I was referring to, thanks.

I was hoping to use PIE to round off some divs that'll hold some content. For this particular application, all I need is for the background color (in effect, the div as a background if you will) to be 40% opaque, but I understand the difficulty.

I suppose "please upgrade to IE9" will be the new mantra of people making websites for the next few months ;)

Thanks for the reply.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]