Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 I added the code and my backgrounds went transparent? 

Post I added the code and my backgrounds went transparent?
With only one exception, when I added the code to use PIE for round corners and viewed the site in IE8, all the containers the code was applied to had their backgrounds set to transparent. That's my best description. The text is still there. It can be selected, and briefly while the page is loading everything looks fine (other than no round corners). Then the page goes dark. You can take a look at it at the following URL (it's a development site, sorry for the slow download).

http://24.32.220.119/WEBSITE

Obviously, the corners work fine in FireFox. But even the one graphic that isn't vanishing in IE8 has square corners. The code I'm adding:

-moz-border-radius : 5px;
-webkit-border-radius : 5px;
behavior:url(PIE.htc);
border-radius : 5px;

If the "behavior" line exists, wonky site. If the "behavior" line is removed the site works, but square corners.

Any ideas?

Wed May 02, 2012 6:09 pm

Post Re: I added the code and my backgrounds went transparent?
Had you followed the advice in the "BEFORE YOU POST - COMMON ISSUES" sticky thread, you would have found this:

http://css3pie.com/documentation/known-issues/#z-index
"Problems with z-index (disappearing backgrounds/borders/shadows)"

Wed May 02, 2012 6:21 pm

I appreciate the response, it was what I needed. I regret that I didn't find it in the common problems section. I did look, but I saw "problems with Z-index" and ignored the rest of the line because I didn't believe that was my problem. Maybe you should remove the distracting programmatic limitation (Problems with z-index), which doesn't describe the behavior, and simply title the reference for what it is to users (Disappearing backgrounds/borders/shadows)? Two cents from 10+ years of technical writing experience. Clarity, brevity, accuracy.

Wed May 02, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it. :)

I apologize if my earlier brevity came across as harsh, I was just in a hurry. Reading it again I think it came across badly.

Since you have such impressive technical writing experience, I wonder if you might be willing to volunteer to assist in my documentation effort? I'm not an expert in technical writing by any means, and I would value your assistance in making things clearer and better organized.

Wed May 02, 2012 9:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]