Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Worked on one site, nothing on this one 

Post Worked on one site, nothing on this one
I've used PIE before with success. Put position: relative on my elements, made sure my relative path was correct, used .php instead of .htc all that good stuff.

Now I'm working on another site that has essentially the same structure and
I can't get anything from PIE.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, ie is driving me bonkers.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:10 pm

Post Re: Worked on one site, nothing on this one
You're gonna have to post a link or something. Can't help you with just that. ;)

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:48 pm

Heh, true.

Here's a shortened link: http://mut.la/whynopie

and the styles...

#featured {

height: 180px;
width: 100%;
margin-top:10px;

-webkit-border-radius: 10px 10px 0 0;
-moz-border-radius: 10px 10px 0 0;
border-radius: 10px 10px 0 0;
behavior: url(polyfills/PIE.htc);
}

.msie #featured {
position: relative;
behavior: url(../wp-content/themes/emazzanti_v2/polyfills/PIE.php');
}

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:37 pm

It appears that you are referencing PIE files at three different locations:

polyfills/PIE.htc
/PIE.htc
../wp-content/themes/emazzanti_v2/polyfills/PIE.php

The first two are both returning 404 not found. The third one is returning a file of zero size (perhaps you copied PIE.php to that folder but not the accompanying PIE.htc for it to reference?)

A couple other things you should give some attention to:
- I don't understand why you have a separate .ie8 rule for each instance pointing to a different location. This should not be needed and you can save some file size by letting all IE versions use the same URL.
- The first and third URLs above are both relative paths; this is fragile since IE resolves them relative to the current HTML file, so if you have pages at different folder depths using the same CSS some of them will break. It's much safer to use root-relative URLs starting with a slash like /wp-content/themes...
- I noticed at least one place where there was an extra trailing single-quote in the behavior url(), which will break.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:21 pm

I've made a few changes listed, still nothing.

- Removed extra quote. It was an accidental leftover from trying all kinds of things last night.

- Removed all references to the first and second path you found.

The url ../wp-content/themes/emazzanti_v2/polyfills/PIE.php is being used because it worked on another project: http://mut.la/pieworks

Also, our wordpress structure is non-standard and the wp core files are in a distinct hierarchy from the themes and plugins.

When you say the third url gives you a file of zero size, how exactly are you accessing it. Going to the sites base url and adding ../wp-content/themes/emazzanti_v2/polyfills/PIE.php, i get the htc file.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:33 pm

Something must have changed, the PIE.php is now returning the correct file contents.

Visiting your page in IE8 now it actually does seem to be working on several elements, such as the search box in the upper right corner. So that must have been the issue.

I do notice that several of your styles use the proprietary gradient filter for doing gradients; you should be aware that this will not work in conjunction with PIE border-radius, as the filter will bleed outside the rounded corners. You should use -pie-background with a linear-gradient instead, see the main site for docs and examples.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]